Bradshaw of Brampton-en-le-Morthen
Godfrey Bradshaw, of Bradshaw and Windley, married Emma, daughter of Anthony Shalcross, of Shalcross, Derbyshire. Children:
- Francis Bradshaw, of Bradshaw, esq. married Ann, daughter and co-heir of Humphrey Stafford, of Eyam
- Leonard, who had a son of the same name living in 1625
- Peter Bradshaw, citizen and merchant tailor of London, made his will 23rd May 1625, devising property at Ulster, in Ireland; Duffield, Bonsall, Castleton, Ferneylee, Coombs, and Bentley Mills, and other property in Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Leicestershire, and London, and personalty to his wife, Amy Johnson, sister of John Johnson and the Lady Burd, and to his children, Edward, Peter, Francis, Paul, Thomas, William, and Elizabeth.
Children of Francis and Ann (Stafford):
- Francis, his successor
and several daughters.
Francis Bradshaw, of Bradshaw and Eyam, eldest son and heir, was of the Inner Temple, Barrister-at-Law, in 1611. He married Barbara, daughter of Sir John Davenport, of Davenport. She had no issue living in 1610-11. He was Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1630. Children:
- Francis, his successor of Eyam and Brampton
- Edward, died 22nd December, 1665. Buried at Treeton
- Anne, wife of the Rev. Michael Adams, Rector of Treeton. She died 9th Jan 1665
Francis his successor, married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of John Vesey, of Brampton. He died 21st December, 1659
In the Brampton Chapel of St.Helen's Church Treeton are many memorials of this family. Francis Bradshaw, of Brampton, the son and heir, died 29th December 1677. On his monument is a brass with the Arms of Bradshaw and Vescy, quarterly.
Inscription reads: Herein interred the body of Elizabeth daughter of John Vesey of Brampton Gentleman Sometime wife to Francis Bradshaw of Brampton Esq. and also wife to John Bolle Esq. who departed this life the fourteenth day of March 1676.
Francis Bradshaw had two sons Francis and John. Francis succeeded all the estates and died unmarried in 1677 when the estates were left to his brother John who continued living at Brampton.
Francis Bradshawe, of Bradshaw Hall, Eyam Hall, and Abney Manor, all in the county of Derby. (Arms : 1 and 4, Arg, two bendlets between two martlets sable ; 2 and 3, Or a chevron gules between three martlets sable (Stafford). Crest : A stag at gaze proper under a vine tree fruited proper,) married Elizabeth Vescy, elder daughter and co-heir, at Braithwell 20 January, 1652-3. The Bradshawe estates were settled in her marriage articles, dated 20 January, 1652-3, to which William Armytage, of Doncaster, and William Vescy, of Whitwell, were parties (Wolley Charters xii, 92).
Francis Bradshawe, the husband of Elizabeth Vescy, was the head of one of the oldest of the Peak families, which had become possessed of their Bradshaw lands soon after the Norman Conquest, as is proved by a roll of assarts in the Record Office, dated 18 John, 6 Henry III (Feudal History of Derbyshire, by Pym Yeatman, sec. vi, page 260). He also represented, through his grandmother, the Staffords of Eyam, who held their estates, granted to them in the reign of King John, on the condition that they kept a lamp burning during divine service on the altar of St. Helen in the parish Church ( Wolley Charters, vii, 38).
Born on the 17th day of February, 1630-1, at Ford Hall, co. Derby, which is about four miles from Bradshaw Hall, and which was the property and residence of Nicholas Cresswell, who in September, 1621, had married his father's sister, Lucy Bradshawe, Francis was the eldest son of George Bradshawe,' who succeeded to the Bradshaw and Stafford estates on the death, in 1635, of his brother Francis. Instead of taking up his abode at Bradshaw Hall, which for centuries had been the home of his forefathers, George Bradshawe lived on until his death in the old hall of the Staffords at Eyam, inherited through his mother. Four years before his death, namely in 1642, the rector, the Rev. Shoreland Adams, left Eyam to be instituted to the rectory of Treeton. Thus a link was forged between the two homes, that of the Bradshawes of Eyam and of the Vescys of Brampton, at a time when the future husband of the heiress of the Vescys would be about eleven or twelve.
On the 25 June, 1646, George Bradshawe died, leaving Elizabeth, whom he had married in 1626, a widow, with five children, all under age, Francis, Peter, Ann, Mary, and Elizabeth. "Franck Bradshawe" as his father calls his eldest son in his will (dated 17 June, 1646, and proved 21 November following Woolley Charters, xii, 91), would then be little more than fifteen years old, and in less than six years afterwards he not only had courted and had wed with Elizabeth Vescy, but had taken up his abode in the hall of her forefathers, apparently together with her mother and her sister Sarah. The old hall at Eyam had been left by his father to his widow for her life, hence the necessity for his finding a new home. Both his sisters soon followed his example, and married Yorkshire neighbours. Mary marrying John Garland, of Todwick, by whom at her death, 20 October, 1681, she left a daughter, Elizabeth, who died unmarried 20 November, 1683; and Anne, his eldest sister, finding a husband in the old friend of her childhood, the Rev. Michael Adams, Rector of Treeton, and son of the late rector, to whom she was married at Eyam, 20 April, 1665.
The plague was raging in its full virulence at Eyam, whither its germs had been conveyed in a parcel of tailor's patterns from London. With what fatal speed it travelled throughout that little Derbyshire village, what destruction it wrought, and what desolation it carried into the cottages and farm-houses, together with the heroic bravery of Wm. Mompesson, the Rector, is ably and touchingly told by William Wood, in his History of Eyam. The widow of George Bradshawe, it is said, fled as soon as it appeared in the village, which was destined never again to be their home, and as she lies buried in Treeton Church, she, with her only remaining child Mary, probably made her future home with her widowed daughter-in-law and her children at Brampton. At the first, however, she would naturally have taken up her abode at the Rectory, in view of the event which ended so fatally.
It was fear of the plague, too, which drove her husband's first cousin, Edward Bradshawe, from Litton, a small village close to Eyam, to find a home in that neighbourhood. A stone with a neat Latin epitaph marks his burial place in Treeton Church, and a tablet with a Latin inscription Hunter says, used to hang on the north side, which explained the cause of his residence in that parish. The inscription may be thus rendered: — " Edward Bradshawe, late of the Society of Gray's Inn in London, and one of its oldest members, also of Litton, in the county of Derby, Esqr., who, sojourning in this county while a plague was raging, died full of years and honours, 22 Dec, 1665, and was buried near this place." It will be noticed from the wording that he never intended to end his days in Treeton, as also that he lived there but a very short time, as he died in the December of the same year in which the plague broke out at Eyam, whether of the plague itself or by the irony of fate, of some other disorder, is not revealed. It will be as well to state who he was, and thus to dispel the ignorant confusion which is said to exist by Hunter in the minds of the Treeton inhabitants, who then supposed, and apparently still suppose him to be identical with John Bradshawe, the President of the High Court which sent King Charles to the scaffold, who more than five years before had been buried with great pomp in Westminster Abbey, and whose body at the Restoration had been exhumed, exposed on a gibbet with those of Cromwell and Ireton, and afterwards re-buried at Tyburn. But tradition, often oblivious of well-known historical facts, buries him in Treeton Church under an assumed name, and states that he lived in the safe obscurity of that Yorkshire village for the first five years of the Restoration.
Edward Bradshawe, of Litton, was first cousin to Elizabeth Vescy's father-in-law, George Bradshawe, and second cousin to President Bradshawe, being the eldest son of Peter, who was a younger son of Godfrey Bradshawe, the eldest brother of the President's grand- father. He inherited the Manor of Litton from his father, who had amassed great wealth as a London merchant. He was a member of Gray's Inn, as was also his second cousin, the President, who kept up a friendly intercourse with his Derbyshire cousins, and is named, with his elder brother, as an overseer to the will of George Bradshawe, and thus may possibly have lent a helping hand to his cousin's widow in the upbringing of her children, who were all very young at their father's death, and thus may have influenced the lives of Elizabeth Vescy's descendants. The marriage of his cousin Anne with the son of the parson who had given him and his colleagues so much trouble, could not have given him much satis- faction.
Francis Bradshawe held the great Court Baron of Abney, co. Derby, of which he was Lord of the Manor in October, 1654. But he lived only seven years after his marriage with Elizabeth Vescy, having died in his thirtieth year, 21 Dec, 1659 and was buried in the Brampton Quire of Treeton Church. He had issue by Elizabeth Vescy:
- John, died 1656, an infant
- John Bradshawe, successor to his brother, born 27 June, 1656
- Elizabeth, born 8 March, 1659-60.
The entry in the old Bible which had belonged to her grandfather, George Bradshawe, is written with a fine pen,
in a female hand, and reads:
" Elizabeth Bradshawe was borne at Brampton, the 8th daye of Marche, 1659, about 8 of the clocke in the morninge, and was chrisened the nine and twentieth. I pray God bless her and make her his servant. F.B. E.B."
She was born ten weeks after her father's death, who in his will names her thus - "as for y childe my wife now goes with all my will is y whether itt be sonne or daughter itt shall have £400 Pounds portion."
The will was dated 19 Dec, 1659, and devised all his landed estates to his eldest son Francis, £400 and an annuity to his son John ; his wife to have the guardianship of his children and their tuition, also the rent from the estates during their minority. William Vescy, Sherland Adams, and Thos. Lord witness the will, who also state that "Mrs. Bradshawe declared that it was the wish of her husband that the silver bason and ewer and two silver flaggons, left to him by his father, should go to his eldest son when he reached the age of 21 years."
In January, 1661, a partition deed was executed, to which William Vescy, of Thorpe Salvin, was a party, dividing the Vescy estates between Elizabeth Bradshawe, widow, and Sarah Vescy, spinster, her sister, and on the 15th September, 1665, Elizabeth Bradshawe, widow, settled her share on her three children, Francis, John, and Elizabeth Bradshawe.
On the 25th Oct., 1664, and again on 20 Oct., 1669, she held the great Court Baron of the Manor of Abney for her son, Francis Bradshawe "infans."
At the age of 35, in 1665, Elizabeth Bradshaw married as her second husband John Bolle(s), age 37 of Thorpe Hall, Co. Lincoln. The marriage settlement of 1665 was confirmed in 1668, and the Court Baron of Abney in 1669 was held by her and John Bolle together. By John Bolle, who had two sons living by his first wife, Ursula Bradley, she had issue:
- Edward Bolle, died unmarried, 15 Nov.1696; buried in Treeton Church
- Mary, died 22 Feb. 1673 buried at Treeton
- Elizabeth, married at South Elkington, 7 March, 1708-9, to Thomas Bosville, Clerk, Rector of Ufford, co. Northants, by whom she had three daughters
- Sarah, married at St. John's, Laughton, 24 Feb. 1690, to Henry Eyre , of Bramley-in-Braithwell, where she was buried 21 June, 1709, leaving John, o,s,p. and Margaret, married William Spencer.
A settlement of lands in Lincoln was made by John Bolle and Elizabeth his wife, 20 May, 1675, on Edward Bolle and his two sisters, Elizabeth and Sarah.
Elizabeth Bradshawe's marriage with John Bolle most certainly provided a husband for her sister Sarah, because John Elye, who was another Lincolnshire Squire, was a son of John Bolle's sister Elizabeth. The marriage must have taken place about 1670, for on the 1st August in that year a deed of settlement of lands was executed, to which Thomas Elye and Elizabeth his wife, and John Elye and Sarah his wife, both of Utterby, co. Lincoln, and Elizabeth Bradshawe were parties.
Elizabeth Vescy, widow of Francis Bradshawe and wife of John Bolle, died 14 March, 1676. Her second husband, John Bolle, was buried at Louth, 10 Sept. 1679. her eldest son, Francis Bradshawe, survived her one year only. He died 29 Dec, 1677, and was buried, as was his mother, in the Brampton Quire of Treeton Church.
John Bradshawe, the third but only other surviving son of Elizabeth Vescy and Francis Bradshawe, succeeded to all the estates, both in Yorkshire and in Derbyshire, on the death of his brother Francis.
He married, at Rampton, 15 July, 1680, Dorothy, the daughter of Anthony Eyre, of Rampton, co. Notts., the male representative of the Eyres of Highlow, co. Derby. In his marriage settlements, dated 14 July, 1680, to which, her father being dead, Dorothy's brother, Gervase Eyre, of Rampton, is a party, both the Yorkshire and Derbyshire estates are settled.
In a document dated 12 October, 1693, signed by George Lord, John Revell, Thos. Mallinson, and Thomas Hunt and others, all of Brampton, liberty is given to John Bradshawe by the Freeholders to build a wall in the More Lane, situated in Brampton, as well as full and free possession of the Fish Pond he had made "in a comon called the Wood," with the sole use "of the Fish and the Pond," which is granted to the "said John Bradshawe and his heirs for ever."
A blacksmith's bill, dated 22 Dec, 1718, is concerned with the shoeing of three horses, called respectively "the Oulder and the younger bay Mare" and the "Strawberry Horse," and shows that he paid at the rate of 1d. for each remove of their shoes, 3d. being the additional payment for a new shoe, while a Sadler's" bill, dated Sept. 1719, proves that a "currey come and brush" cost half a crown, and a paire of malegerths fourteen pence; while repairs to male pillions and other such articles were in like reasonable proportion.
He served as High Sheriff for the county of Derby during the year 1717, but his life was lived at Brampton, where he died, and was buried in Treeton Church, 18 November, 1726.
A parcel of conveyance deeds, proves that he acquired other lands than those he inherited, some by purchase and others by exchange, from Stone, Revell Lord, and other Brampton landowners. A rent roll of his Wortley estate shows that a portion of his land is now owned by Lord Wharncliffe. A reference in Sir George Sitwell's Letter Book of 1662-7, refers to his friend John Bradshawe dining with him at Renishaw, and in a letter from Sir John Newton, of Barre's Court, co. Gloucester, to his son, dated 20 July, 1689, he mentions that he is entertaining my sister Eyre, her son and daughter, and her son-in-law Bradshawe and his lady and daughter.
John Bradshawe, as stated, died in his 71st year,Nov 1726, having had by Dorothy his wife, whose death is recorded in the Treeton Registers as having taken place "by misfortune" on the 23rd Sept. 1714, four daughters and two sons
- Elizabeth; baptised at Treeton, 9 July, 1681 ; married at Laughton Church, co. York, 11 Jan. 1706, to Joshua Galliard, of Bury Hall, Edmonton, by whom she had Pierce, eventual heir
- Margaret; baptised at Treeton, 16 Aug. and buried 28 Aug., 1682
- Dorothy baptised at Treeton, 28 Oct., 1685, buried 9 Nov. 1686
- Mary baptised at Treeton, 29 Aug., 1687. Died unmarried <
- George, eldest son and heir ; baptised at Treeton, 26 Feb.1683-4
- John baptised at Treeton, 26 March, 1689. Died in his father's lifetime, unmarried, and was buried at Treeton, 21 Dec, 1724
- Pierce Galliard, alluded to above as heir to George Bradshawe
- John; died unmarried, 29 April, 1745, and was buried in Eyam Church, co. Derby, where is a brass to his memory
- Elizabeth; married, 1741, Arthur Beardsley
- Dorothy; married John Richards, of Edmonton, by whom she had issue: (1) John, died young, March, 1737
- Bradshawe Galliard; baptised at Edmonton, 16 April, 1747. Matriculated at Oriel College, Oxford, at the age of 17, the 14th day of November, 1764. A deed of demise of the settled estates in Derbyshire was executed by his father in his favour, for their joint lives, on 26th May, 1777. He died intestate, in his father's lifetime, at his brother-in-law's house at East Sheen, 4 Sept., 1785, when his two sisters became his co-heirs in tail presumptive
- Anna Galliard; baptised at Edmonton, 21 Dec, 1744. Married,' without her father's consent, Eaglesfield Smith, of Blackwood, co. Dumfries. The Eyam estate devolved on her, as well as the plate, family portraits, and the greater portion of the contents of Bury Hall, which were destroyed by a fire at Blackwood House not long afterwards. By the death of their grandson, Bradshawe Smith, in 1881, this line became extinct
- Mary; baptised in Queen Street, 25 Feb., 1746. Inherited,
under a deed of partition bearing date 26 Feb., 1790,
the Bradshaw Hall and Abney Manor estates, besides
Bury Hall and a large portion of the Edmonton estate.
She was married at Edmonton, 29 Jan., 1774, the
marriage articles being dated the previous 14th January,
to Charles Bowles, of Sheen House, co. Surrey. He was
born at Woodford, co. Essex, 7 Aug., 1736, and was the
second son of Humphry Bowles, of Burford, co. Salop,
and of Wanstead House, co. Essex. (Arms : Azure,
three standing bowls or, in each a boar's head couped.
Crest : A demy boar pierced with an arrow). He died at
Sheen House during his year of office as High Sheriff
for Co. Surrey, 15 Jan., 1795, and was buried at Wan-
stead, leaving one son, Humphry Bowles, his heir, born
19 Nov., 1 781, died 12 Aug., 1859, whose grandson and
heir-at-law possesses the Bradshawe estates, and who
represents the families of Bradshawe of Bradshaw, co.
Derby, and Vescy of Brampton, co. York.
The widow of Charles Bowles, the last member of the Galliard family, died 7 March, 1836, and was buried at Wanstead. Her will, dated 7 May, 1829, was proved 2 June, 1836.
The Brampton estates, so long the possession of the Vescy family, were sold by Pierce Galliard shortly before his death in 1789, at which date they were in the possession of Mr. Samuel Phipps, and were left by him to Sir Sitwell Sitwell, the grandfather of Sir Geoige Sitwell.
The head of the following Pedigree, John Bradshaw of Brampton, esq. Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1717, son and heir of Francis. He married Dorothy Eyre. John died in 1726 leaving a son George and daughter Mary. George succeeded to the Bradshaw estates, and died childless in 1735, the estates devolved on his sister's son as heir at law
A George Bradshaw had a daughter Mary, who married in 1673 to John Garland of Todwick.
In 1699 Henry Duke of Norfolk leased to John Bradshaw of Brampton, and William Clayton of Lincolns Inn a messuage in Todwick, and the Great Moor Crofts in Dinnington, and the Little Moor Crofts in Aston.
Will of John Bradshaw of Brampton
Dated 1719. Proved 24 January 1727
He mentions his estates in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Eldest Son George
Son in law Joshua Galliard
Daughter Mary Bradshaw
Property in Morthen and Whiston¹ ... in the possession of Christopher Radley and John Kitchin. Hay and Corn in Guilthwaite ¹
Land in Brampton purchased of Thomas Malinson
Grandaughter Elizabeth Galliard
Codicil 1722. I give and devise to my son John Bradshaw besides the Annuity of £50 which I have given him by my Will the sum of £500 and also I give unto him and his Heirs half part of all my Lead Mines and all my shares, parts and interest in Lead Mines as was opened and not opened and all Store/stores? possessions whatsoever which I have or shall have at the time of my decease.
In the presence of E. Wright Jos. Heywood William Johnson 11/10/1722
Reference to Properties
¹ Mortgage in fee. By John Bradshaw of Brampton parish of Treeton, esq. to Thomas Wentworth of Wentworth Woodhouse, parish of Wath-on-Dearne, Rotherham, esq., for £1200, of two third parts of tithes of corn, gain and hay arising from Morthen and Guilthwaite which tithes are now let to George Westby, gent. and Christopher Radley at a rent of £20.1s.8d. per annum, a messuage at Morthen with closes called the Croft, the Brecks, Upper New Close, Spring Close, 11 acres in Dimple Field, 12½ acres in Stow Bridge Field, 2½ acres in Morphett Field, 7 acres 3 roods in High Field, 22 acres in the Lees and Four Lands Close (total 98 acres) in the tenure of Robert and John Kitchin at a rent of £46.16s.8d. and also a capital messuage at Morthen with closes called Cakerflatt Close, Morphett Close, Intaile Close, Moor Close, the Crofts, Plonk Close, 3 acres in Morphett Field, 3 acres in Linwood Field, 4 acres in Letley Field, 4 acres in Dimple Field, 3½ acres in Stow Bridge Field, 2 cow gates on the Moor, Gravill Mills Close and 5 acres in the fields (total 57½ acres) in the tenure of Christopher Radley at a rent of £23.5s. per annum. Creation dates: 31 January/1 February 1706/7. 31 January/1 February 1706/7.
Assignment of mortgage. By Wentworth, on the direction of Bradshaw, to John Wingfield of Norton, Derbyshire, gent. the principal sum of £1200 having been repaid, in consideration of £800 paid to Bradshawe, of premises above. 26 March 1714.
29 September 1741:Receipt signed by Robert Foster for 1s.4d. received from Mrs Bradshaw, by the hands of William Sampson, for tithe hay and grass at Brampton, and also for 2s.3d. for the estate lately belonging to Mr Thomas Lord in Brampton and usually paid to the Vicar of Treeton for a year due this day.
George Bradshawe (b.1683), though he did not actually succeed to the estates till 1726, appears to have acted for his father as early as 1722, when leases were drawn out in his name. He married Ellen, only daughter of Robert Roper, of East Derby, co. Lancs; and the marriage articles are dated 5 June, 1710. They had one son James, who died in infancy, and was buried at Thorpe Salvin. He was appointed Recorder of Doncaster, 16 Dec, 1707, where he must have taken up his residence in 1722, as on 20th August in that year an order was issued by the Corporation that a deputation should wait upon him, and that four dozen of wine should be sent in. His house was situated on the east side of the High Street, now known as the Doncaster Bank, and was sold by his nephew and heir in 1758. In 1727 he was concerned in the navigation of the River Don as Recorder. He died 23 Dec, 1735, having on the 13th of September in that year executed a lease for eleven years of Bradshaw Hall and lands, the last evidence of a business act done by him, and which was concerned with the old home of his forefathers. The Hall is near Chapel-en-le-Frith, and is a fair specimen of an old Tudor house, and in good preservation. George Bradshawe was buried in the old Parish Church of St George's, Doncaster, where his widow put up to his memory a monument, which, like the family of which he was the last representative, has passed away from mortal eyes, having perished in the fire which destroyed the church, 28 Feb. 1853. He died intestate, and the representation, as well as the estates, of the houses of Bradshawe, of Bradshaw, co. Derby, and of Vescy of Brampton, co. York, then devolved on his nephew mentioned above, Pierce Galliard, as heir-at-law, who was the eldest son of Elizabeth Bradshawe by her marriage with Joshua Galliard, son of Joshua Galliard, of Bury Hall, Edmonton, co. Middlesex. (Arms : Azure, a bend between three roses on three stalks and leaves gules). When Pierce Galliard succeeded to the estates on the death of his uncle, George Bradshawe, his mother had been dead nearly twenty years, having died where she had lived, at Bury Hall, 10 Oct., 1716, aged 35.
A monument in Edmonton Church records her death and, that of her husband, Joshua Galliard, who was buried with his wife in Edmonton Church, 19 Sept. 1728. They had issue:
Dorothy Richards; baptised at Edmonton, 5 Sept.1735; died 17 May, 1748.
Pierce Galliard, the eldest son, so named after Sir Pierce Butler, Bart., who had married his father's sister, Anna Galliard, matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford, 1727, at the age of 16. He was of Lincoln's Inn, barrister-at-law, 1733; of Queen's Square, London, and of Bury Hall, co. Middlesex, at which latter place he chiefly resided, and in which house, over the drawing-room mantelpiece, is a carving in marble of the Galliard Arms quartering Wakefield, Bradshawe and Vescy, and impaling Hughes. He died at a great age, and was buried at Edmonton, 15 Aug. 1789. He married as his second wife, 3 March, 1743, Anna daughter of John Hughes, of London, who was buried at Edmonton, 6 November, 1777, and by whom he had issue one son and two daughters: