Extract from White's Directory, 1879
Ulley, a small village and township two and a half miles from Treeton, 3 miles from Woodhouse Railway Station. It forms with Brampton-en-le-Morthen, an ecclesiastical district which was constituted in 1852, and had 311 inhabitants in 1871, living on 1972 acres of land.
Ulley township comprises portions of the parishes of Aston-cum-Aughton and Treeton and is in the Rotherham Union. It had 186 inhabitants in 1971 living on 933 acres of which 156 persons and 610 acres are in Treeton parish and 20 persons and 323 acres in Aston-cum-Aughton parish.
Lord Halifax, who is lord of the manor and Job Conworth and Jarvis Radley Esquires are the chief owners of the soil.
The church, Holy Trinity, was erected in 1851-2 , with the parsonage and the school at a cost of £1000. The living is a vicarage valued at £118, in the patronage of Lord Halifax, and in the incumbency of Rev. William Studdart Evans, B.A. The school was enlarged and a mistresses house built in 1871 at a cost of £300, the original being the gift of the late William Presley, Esq.
Post is from Rotherham, but Aston is the nearest Money Order Office. Here is a Wall Letter Box cleared at 5.15 p.m.
John Bartle, Beerhouse and Farmer
James Bartles, Farmer
Mary Charlesworth, National Schoolmistress
Job Conworth, Ulley Hall and Carolgate, East Retford
Charles Duke, Beerhouse
Rev. William Studdart Evans, Vicar of Ulley and Brampton
Mrs. Ann Hague
Mr. Andrew Heppenstall
James Hodgson, Farmer, Ulley Manor Farm
Henry Shaw, Farmer
Robert Shaw, Farmer
John Stenton, Farmer
George Walton, Drill Owner